Higher education institutions are legally required to provide specialized training on an annual basis to individuals responsible for investigating sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking complaints. Further, the 2020 Title IX regulations require investigators to receive training on specific topics. Given the current legal obligations, the significant recent changes to the legal landscape, the heightened focus on enforcement of Title IX, and the increasing complexity of sexual misconduct matters, it is more important than ever that your Title IX investigators are well trained.
Join us for an in-depth training specifically designed for Title IX/VAWA investigators. The benefits of our training extend beyond merely satisfying your annual training requirements. Our training is conducted by higher education attorneys who regularly advise institutions on all aspects of the sexual misconduct process, from policy drafting through the final resolution of sexual misconduct matters. Because these attorneys also have extensive experience investigating sexual misconduct cases for institutions, this training incorporates firsthand, real-world experience and provides practical guidance on navigating the complex issues that arise during this process.
This session will also specifically address the impact and challenges of trauma in investigating allegations of sexual misconduct. Additionally, attendees will have the opportunity to put their training into action as they work together to investigate a complex sexual misconduct case and receive valuable, in-the-moment feedback from higher education attorneys.
Attendees will receive a certificate verifying their completion of the training session.
This training will cover:
• Update on the legal landscape
– Possible changes from the Biden Administration
– 2020 Title IX regulations
– VAWA/Clery Act
• The role and responsibilities of Title IX investigators
• How to serve impartially
• Coordinating with law enforcement
• The effects of trauma
• Conducting a legally-compliant investigation
– Investigation stages
– Effective investigation strategies and techniques
– Creating an investigative report that fairly summarizes relevant evidence
• Discussion of the investigation of a hypothetical case
• Overview of the decision-making process, including discussion of the adjudication of the hypothetical case
This training will be offered in-person* and via live webcast.
*Space for in-person attendance will be limited and will be determined based on registration date.